The Student News Site of Holman Middle School

The Pirate Post

Shukaku and Gaara

Justin Alvey

This week I will be talking about the One-Tails and his Jinchūriki Gaara. This is a continuation of last week’s article so click here to read it. As always, there will be MAJOR spoilers for Naruto, Naruto Shippuden and possibly Boruto Next Generation. Read at your own risk.

Last time, we talked about how the Ten-Tails was split up into Shukaku the one-tail, Matatabi the two-tails, Isobu the three-tails, Son Goku the four-tails, Kokuo the five-tails, Saiken the six-tails, Chomei the seven-tails, Gyuki the eight-tails, and Kurama the nine-tails. So today we will be talking about Shukaku and his Jinchūriki Gaara.

When Gaara was a baby, Shukaku was sealed into his body and became the new Jinchūriki of Shukaku. During his childhood he was neglected and treated harshly because of his ability to control sand. When Gaara was old enough to become a official shinobi, he was sent to the Chunnin Exams with Kancrow and Temari to infiltrate the Hidden Leaf Village. During his battle with Sasuke Uchiha, he got hit by attack for the first time in his life. This caused him to go insane and turn into Shukaku. The Hidden Sand Village and the Hidden Sound Village used this to their advantage by attacking the Hidden Leaf Village. Sasuke retreated from Gaara which caused him to attack Naruto. However, Naruto managed to defeat Gaara, which had a big effect of his life. Naruto’s will to protect and save his village inspired Gaara to want to someday become the Kazekage of the Hidden Sand Village.

Two years later, after becoming Kazekage, Gaara became a target for the Akasuki. Deidara and Sasori were sent out to capture Gaara which they succeeded in. This caused the Hidden Sand Village to send a emergency SOS message to the Hidden Leaf Village. The Hidden Leaf Village sent Team 7 and Team Guy where sent out along with the puppet master Chiyo. The two teams met up in the Jinchūriki sacrificial alter and the Akasuki set off traps that caused Team Guy to fight there shadows. Kakashi and Naruto battled Deidara while Sakura and Chiyo fought Sasori. After defeating Sasori, Chiyo and Sakura went to help fight Deidara. Meanwhile, Deidara was almost defeated by one-tails Naruto and tried to suicide bomb himself. Kakashi used kamui to rip Deidara’s arms off and thus disabling the explosion. However, Deidara managed to escape while leaving a fake, clay corpse where he was. Kakashi calmed Naruto down and found Gaara, who was dead. When Sakura and Chiyo met up with Naruto and Kakashi, Chiyo decided to transfer her remaining life force into Gaara, thus killing her and reviving Gaara. Meanwhile, Team Guy managed to defeat the shadows and helped bring Gaara back to the Hidden Sand Village. Since the Akasuki removed Shukaku from his body, Gaara was no longer a Jinchūriki and the first person to ever live after having a tailed beast being removed from their body. However, Gaara is still able to control sand; which is most likely a result of an kekkei genkai.