The Pirate Post

National Junior Honor Society 2017-2018

Adviser

Mrs. Gibson took some time out to tell us a little about how we got an NJHS Chapter at Holman and what NJHS is all about.  Here’s what she had to say.

Pirate Post:  What sponsors NJHS?  Who can participate?

Mrs. Gibson:  Holman administration and Holman PTA support NJHS.  I am the sponsor of the Chapter at Holman, which I started years ago.  I also started a chapter at Heights and am working with staff at Remington to get their chapter up and going.

Students who participate must be 7th or 8th graders with 4’s in citizenship and behavior, and a 3.75 GPA or higher.

But that is not all!  You also have to go through a rigorous application process, which is an opportunity to show that you are a well-rounded individual.  The application process includes an essay in which students explain their ideas about what the keys to lifelong success are.   We look for things like perseverance, grit or the ability to take failure and turn it around, a service orientation, the ability to see yourself as part of the bigger circle.   

Pirate Post:  What is the purpose of NJHS?

Mrs. Gibson:  National Junior Honor Society outlines the purposes of NJHS in its Constitution.  They include:

1.  To create enthusiasm for Scholarship
  2. To stimulate a desire to render Service
  3. To promote Leadership
  4. To develop Character
  5. To encourage Citizenship

Pirate Post:  What are the benefits of being a member of NJHS?

Mrs. Gibson:  There are many benefits!  Members feel like part of a special group, starting with the induction ceremony.  The candlelight ceremony is a celebration, and parents and staff members are involved too.  Members also learn valuable leadership skills.  All members can run for office within the group.  Member also plan all the events and activities, so they learn what works and what doesn’t!  I support the group but they make the decisions.  We only have a few meetings each month so you won’t have to give up your other commitments either.

Members design and plan social events AND service events.  We have service learning events and field trips every other month.  Members also laugh and relax together!  Middle school is tough, so we take some time out to go out for dinner together, go bowling, or hanging out at SkyZone!

Last but not least, members earn respect and get recognized.  From the moment they receive the NJHS pin, they know they are part of a respected organization.  Membership gives students the confidence to succeed, at Holman, at PHS, and beyond!  Previous student have gone on to prestigious programs at Washington University, UMR, and other local universities.

Pirate Post:  What are some of the activities NJHS sponsors?  Where do you meet?

Mrs. Gibson:  We have done so many different activities!  We meet in Room 167 for our meetings and during the meetings, members decide what activities we will do all year.  Activities vary every year because they are student driven.  The  students know if something succeeds or fails, it is due to their planning and follow through.   We have done lots of social projects, including Secret Santa, field trips dinners, Halloween parties, Sky Zone.  Our service projects have included helping out at Loaves and Fishes food pantry, All Paws Animal Shelter project, Faculty Appreciation Breakfast, Toys for Tots, Starbursts for MAP.  Recently we did the Gratitude Tree in the courtyard, and Sidewalk Chalk for Joy, and Don’t be an Airhead, Show What You Know for MAP.  We do at least one social and one service activity per semester.

Every spring we do Spirit Week based on National Student Leadership Week.

Pirate Post:  When are students chosen at Holman?  When is induction?  

Mrs. Gibson:  Every October the selection process begins and it includes teachers and guidance counselors.  Once selection is complete, students are notified.  A few weeks later, the induction ceremony is held in the evening so families can attend the candlelight event.  This year our Induction Ceremony will be October 25, 2017.  

Pirate Post:  How do students apply for NJHS?

Mrs. Gibson:  Students do not apply for membership, they are nominated by their team of teachers and their application is submitted and judged.

Pirate Post:  Anything else you’d like to add?

Mrs. Gibson:  Well, our officers this year are as follows:

President – Ponon Masokano

Vice-President – Olivia Bulger

Secretary – Tara Chandler

Historian – Emma Kasicki