The Pirate Post

Is ‘Too Much Water’ a Valid Argument?

Justin Alvey

One November 18, 2014 the world waiting for the IGN review for ORAS and was taken by storm when Kallie Plagge gave it a 7.8 because it had ‘too much water’. Today I will be looking into ORAS by comparing the amount of water and land in both the game and the gameplay. Note that this will contain spoilers for ORAS.

Looking at a map of Hoenn you can clearly see it is an small island surrounded by sea. However, only a small portion of the water is accessible without glitching or hacking into to. Although it is a small portion of the water, the portion that is accessible still takes up approximately 1/3 of the map.

The next thing I will compare is how much gameplay time you actually spend in/near water for both casual players and hardcore players. During the main story, you swim throughout small portions in the sea but reach the main part of the sea after the 6th gym battle. The rest of the game until Victory Road takes place in or near the ocean, this is approximately 1/7 of the main story. In the Delta Episode you will travel across the sea a few times but the ocean has nothing to do with the plot.

Now let’s talk about hardcore players. Shiny hunters may be a area of water for long periods of time if they are trying to catch a specific water shiny. However, there is not much diversity in the water so it is more likely they are hunting a shiny on the land. Flag collectors are a different story though. A lot of highly populated secret base locations are hidden in the ocean and some are not flyable to. This means if you are hunting for flags and want to get the most you can everyday, you will need to go across the ocean a lot. Now let’s talk about NG and TAS speedrunners. NG and TAS speedrunners will cross the ocean a few times but will mostly skip it with glitches and spamming HM Fly. People trying to 100% the Regional or National Pokèdex will go to the ocean a few time but since the biodiversity of the ocean is so low they could easily catch almost all of the Pokemon in less than a hour and could just put a level 50 from Victory Road on GTS to get the rarer water Pokemon.

In my personal playthrough of ORAS I was hardcore about collecting flags so I used the ocean a lot but I never really thought there was ‘too much water’. And for people who people there is ‘too much water’, you should pay attention to the tutorial because there is a item called a repel that makes it so you don’t encounter any pokemon below your level.

Overall, unless you are a flag hunter who refuses to buy repels, which are really cheap, you will not encounter a problem with there being ‘too much water’.