The Pirate Post

Child Abuse

Kamauri Younge

Childhood abuse is devastating because it could lead to low self-esteem and depression.

Low self-esteem makes kids feel unsure of themselves they doubt they can do things well as others. They lack the confidence to go after their goals. “Child abuse or child maltreatment is physical, sexual, or psychological maltreatment or neglect of a child or children, especially by a parent or other caregiver.” (Dictionary) There is 3 different ways child abuse can go in effect.

First is physical abuse, physical abuse is any intentional act causing injury or trauma to another person or animal by way of bodily contact. In most cases, children are the victims of physical abuse, but adults can also be victims, as in cases of domestic violence or workplace aggression. (Dictionary)

Second is sexual abuse, sexual abuse also referred to as molestation, is usually undesired sexual behavior by one person upon another. It is often perpetrated using force or by taking advantage of another. (

The most serious cases of child abuse can end in death. Those who survive may suffer emotional scars that can last long after the physical bruises have healed. Kids who are abused are more likely to have problems building and maintaining relationships throughout their lives.