The Pirate Post

Choir Field Trip!

Ja'Nya Cruise

On Wednesday March 7, 2018 the Holman Middle School Choir took a field trip to Lindberg High School to perform in front of 3 terrifying judges. Before we even got to the point where we had to perform both the intermediate and beginning choirs were absolutely terrified because we kept doubting ourselves but good thing we had the encouragement of the wonderful Mr.Larry Knobel without him and his powerful uplifting words our choir would have probably did how we all said we would do.

Now on the day of the performance we lost 6 minutes of practice. I know your probably thinking “6 minutes, why would anyone care about 6 minutes?” Well let me tell you, when you aim for a superior rating those six minutes would have been heaven. After we lost 6 minutes we then started to warm up and eventually started to sing. While we were singing a student decided to start fiddling with her hair! Right then I noticed Mr. Knobel’s face get really red because his famous saying is “you practice what you do” meaning if you practice a certain way your most likely to do it on stage. After that Mr.Knobel then said “it’s time to go.”

Everybody then became very anxious.

When we arrived to Lindberg High My heart immediately dropped into the pit of my stomach because there were other schools and a lot of other great choirs. After we listened to about 3 choirs it was our time to sing we then stood up went to the warm up room warmed up for about 5 minutes. After we warmed up it was time to go on stage when I walked on stage I could barely see the 3 judges because there was very bright lights in my eyes. I then stood there and waited for Mr.Knobel’s instructions, when everything and everyone got settled we started to sing. when we got done singing we got off stage I was really scared cause I felt we did good but I didn’t feel superior. We then walked down the hall to go infant of another judge to do sight reading now this judge wasn’t as scary she mad us feel comfortable. After we finished with sight reading Mr.Knobel got our scores and we headed for the buses when we got on the bus everyone got quiet so that Mr.Knobel could tell us our scores and he then said “for sight reading we got a 1!”  Everyone then screamed and jumped with joy!  After that he then pulled out our score for our singing and he hesitated which made all us scared then he said your lowest score was a 1- and then everyone jumped for joy because we received two ones which means we were superior.  After we heard all of our scores we then headed to west county mall to eat lunch.