The Student News Site of Holman Middle School

The Pirate Post

The Nintendo Switch Is Getting Sued?

Kyle Huynh

During the second week of August, a new lawsuit was filed against Nintendo alleging they have the patent for their detachable controllers called joy-cons.  The Company that is suing Nintendo is called Gamevice, a mobile gaming accessory company.  They claim that Nintendo ripped of their machine.  Gamevice makes game controllers that provides true gaming for use with a smartphone and tablet, both Apple and Samsung products.  It also includes traditional gaming controls, allowing gamers to play hundreds of video games on their smart or tablet devices. They are claiming that Nintendo’s joy-cons for the Switch infringe on their detachable controllers.

Gamevice says that the switch has done “irreparable injuries,” to their device that came out in 2015.  Gamevice is asking for the Switch to be shutdown forever and shall let the judge decide how much Nintendo has to pay Gamevice.  As of now Nintendo has not responded to Gamevice’s lawsuit, and also Nintendo owns patents for parts of the Switch.  In 2012 Gamevice began hyping up their console saying that their console would deliver glasses-free 3D gameplay and game streaming.

After several delays and a design change the device was finally released in 2013, it was initially supposed to be released in 2012.  After the device was released they did not deliver what they said about having glasses-free 3D gameplay and game streaming.  Later on they abandoned the device and focused on add-on controllers for phones and tablets.  From certain perspectives Nintendo’s new hybrid console is what their device could have been, which might make the Switch even more painful for the Gamevice’s creators.  The Switch has already been sued earlier this year by a church in Oklahoma making merchandise because they were already using the name  Switch.

As of March 2017, Nintendo has shipped nearly 5 million Switch systems worldwide to retailers.